ADSM-L

groupid change creates a modified file copy

2003-02-07 11:28:13
Subject: groupid change creates a modified file copy
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 10:18:42 -0600
ADSM server v 3.1, on AIX 4.3.3 system. IBM 3575 L18 tape library. Yes, we
plan to upgrade soon. But right now I'm in a jam:

1) Our backup server is set to hold 1 copy of a modified file for 7 days.

2) Our backup server is backing up home directories on unix disks. We want
to change the group id's of all our users on unix.

3) If we change a group id of a file, then the server backs up this
"modified" file as a modifed copy, thus having 2 copies of the file on
tape, one copy owned by each group.

4) Is there any way to turn off this function so that a change in the
group id does NOT create a mocified backup copy?

5) We are running low on tapes and is the server tries to backup a
modified copy of all user data the backup server will not be able to
handle it and it will explode.

Thanks in advance!

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
            Beckman Institute - University of Illinois
       alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu