ADSM-L

Re: Three copies of backup data

2003-02-07 11:00:25
Subject: Re: Three copies of backup data
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 09:59:41 -0600
From: Mario Behring [mailto:mariobehring AT YAHOO DOT COM]
> I have a TSM Server running on a W2K Server machine. The tape
> library is a IBM 3590, non automated, with two drives. The
> drives are connected to the TSM Server through SCSI
> interfaces (one interface for each drive).
>
> What I need is this: I want to do each incremental backup on
> three different tapes, so I can store these tapes in
> different places. The tapes contents should be identical.

Create a primary tape storage pool (call it primtape1) and two copy
storage pools (call them copytape1 and copytape2). After backups
complete, run

        backup stg primtape1 copytape1
        backup stg primtape1 copytape2
        upd stg diskpool hi=0 lo=0

and when diskpool-->primtape1 migration is complete:

        upd stg diskpool hi=90 lo=70 (or whatever your diskpool
migration levels are)

(This assumes, of course, that you're using a disk cache to catch client
backups.)

Contents of all three tapes may not be absolutely identical, but they'll
be pretty damn close. (If you're looking to clone the contents of one
tape to another tape via an OS utility like tcopy or dd, you may or may
not get a usable tape.)