ADSM-L

space reclamation errors

2003-02-06 11:16:54
Subject: space reclamation errors
From: Alexander Lazarevich <alazarev AT ITG.UIUC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 09:35:40 -0600
I've got a big problem, I'm hoping someone can help me out.

We are using ADSM server v 3.1, on an AIX 4.3.3 machine. We are planning
to upgrade very soon, so please don;t comment about that. We also have an
IBM 3575 L18 tape library (180 tapes, 2 drives), which we are also
upgrading soon.

Our current library is very full, and I changed a few policies a few days
ago and now the server is stuck in a loop, unable to reclaim any space in
the tape library. I'll try to outline what's happened:

1) We have a few different policies, and I changed them by first changing
the "standard" policy set, and then activated that new standard policy
set. The policy change was going to delete a lot of backup items, which it
did during the next automatic expiration.

2) I also had improperly set the destination storage pool for the policies
to "ITG-DISK", which is our storage pool disks. Realizing my mistake this
morning, I just changed the destination storage pool to ITG-TAPE, which is
the correct setting. ITG-TAPE is our 3575 tape library. That is the
correct destination.

3) But as of right now, I'm getting errors when I try to do the following:

3.1) Delete a filespace:
ANR0984I Process 501 for DELETE FILESPACE started in the BACKGROUND at
09:32:42.
ANR0800I DELETE FILESPACE: \\zworykin\c$ for node ZWORYKIN.ITG.UIUC.EDU
started as process 501.
ANR0802I Delete Filespace \\zworykin\c$ (backup/archive data) for node
ZWORYKIN.ITG.UIUC.EDU started.
ANR0859E Data storage object erasure failure, DELETE FILESPACE process
aborted.
ANR0985I Process 501 for DELETE FILESPACE running in the BACKGROUND
completed with completion state FAILURE at 09:32:47.

The Messages book doesn't say mcuh about what is wrong, other than to look
at the logs, which I am, and it doesn;t say why I can't delete a
filespace.

3.2) Migrate data from one tape (which happens to have 98% reclaimable
space on it) back into the storage pool ITG-TAPE:

ANR0984I Process 497 for SPACE RECLAMATION started in the BACKGROUND at
09:20:46.
ANR1040I Space reclamation started for volume 2C738D, storage pool
ITG-3575TAPE (process number 497).
ANR1044I Removable volume 2C738D is required for space reclamation.
ANR8324I 3570 volume 2C738D is expected to be mounted (R/O).
ANR1142I Moving data for collocation cluster 1 of 1 on volume 2C738D.
ANR8337I 3570 volume 26DE0C mounted in drive TAPEDRIVE2 (/dev/rmt0).
ANR8468I 3570 volume 2C64BC dismounted from drive TAPEDRIVE1 (/dev/rmt1)
in library ITG-3575.
ANR2017I Administrator ALAZAREV issued command: QUERY PROCESS
ANR8337I 3570 volume 2C738D mounted in drive TAPEDRIVE1 (/dev/rmt1).
ANR2017I Administrator ALAZAREV issued command: QUERY PROCESS
ANR8341I End-of-volume reached for 3570 volume 26DE0C.
ANR0985I Process 497 for SPACE RECLAMATION running in the BACKGROUND
completed with completion state FAILURE at 09:21:48.
ANR1086W Space reclamation terminated for volume 2C738D - insufficient
space in storage pool.
ANR1042I Space reclamation for storage pool ITG-3575TAPE will be retried
in 60 seconds.
ANR8336I Verifying label of 3570 volume 26DE0C in drive TAPEDRIVE2
(/dev/rmt0).
ANR8468I 3570 volume 26DE0C dismounted from drive TAPEDRIVE2 (/dev/rmt0)
in library ITG-3575.
ANR1043I Space reclamation retry delay ended; checking volume reclamation
status for storage pool ITG-3575TAPE.

Doesn anyone have any idea what's going on here? I'm kinda stuck. Any
ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems | Imaging Technology Group
   alazarev AT itg.uiuc DOT edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu