ADSM-L

Re: Backup to client local media?

2003-02-04 17:33:41
Subject: Re: Backup to client local media?
From: "Stapleton, Mark" <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 15:14:43 -0600
From: Levinson, Donald A. [mailto:dlevinso AT ACSALASKA DOT COM]
> Does anyone know of a way to have TSM backup to client local
> media instead of the server? This would be similar to
> Legato's Storage Node. I have a SQL server that is on the
> other side of a T1 and has about 7GB of data in addition to
> about 9GB of files. It has a Dat DDS-3 drive and I don't want
> to have to buy a complete tape library and TSM server to
> protect it. I'd rather keep the backup management centralized.

TSM doesn't support backups to local client media. However, an
alternative solution is a real-time replication app like DoubleTake. You
can replicate desired files across your T1 to a box that is already a
TSM client, and then backup the replicant. I'm a big fan of DoubleTake.

Email me offline if you're interested.