ADSM-L

Re: Platform migration

2003-02-04 12:33:06
Subject: Re: Platform migration
From: Patrick Boutilier <boutilpj AT STAFF.EDNET.NS DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:31:35 -0400
Jason,

What version of TSM/ADSM are you running on AIX currently?

We were planning on migrating from ADSM 3.1.2.90 running on AIX 4.3 to
TSM 5.1.5.x running on Linux. However we were shocked to find out that
IBM now charges $750 CDN per CPU to backup servers. What kind of
ridiculous licensing scheme is that? TSM has to backup the same amount
of data regardless of how many processors are in the servers to be
backed up.

Jason Lee wrote:
Hi,

we are planning on migrating our TSM function from AIX to Linux. It
would appear that bringing both servers to 5.X and doing a server to
server export node (or many, actually :-) ) is the way to do it.

This does require that *every* tape be read and a new one written
though, which seems like a real pain. Is there any way to transfer the
database, in such a way that data itself doesn't have to be moved?

A case of beer (or two) for the best way of doing it!

Thanks very much.

Jason