ADSM-L

Re: PIT restore question

2003-02-03 23:00:56
Subject: Re: PIT restore question
From: Sias Dealy <hnre AT UREACH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 14:47:33 -0500
Hans,

Since VEREXIST=10 is set to 10 and the rest "No Limit".
TSM is keeping 10 versions of the file.
When the file changes again, TSM will be keeping 11 versions
now. The oldest version (the 11th version) of the file will be
expired.

Like you said the file have been backed up more than 10 times
in the past 6 months. If you want a file 6 months ago. Bad news
the file have expire when the file became the 11th version.

When you use the -pick and -ina you should see 10 versions of
the file.

I am not too sure if I explain this right or if it make any
sense. Hopefully someone elsemay explain this better.

Sias

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On    , Hans Hedlund (Hans.Hedlund AT ENSKILDA DOT SE) wrote:

> I was wondering...
>
> If I have a backup copygroup that says VEREXIST=10 and all
three other
> variables "No Limit", what would a point-in-time restore,
from say 6
> months
> ago, do with a file that has been backed up more than 10
times during
> the
> last 6 months? The file existed 6 months ago, but since I
would only
> keep 10
> versions, that 6-month old version would have expired by now.
>
> Would the PIT restore know that I used to have a file 6
months ago, and