ADSM-L

Re: TSM Disk Pool Management

2003-01-31 09:15:43
Subject: Re: TSM Disk Pool Management
From: John Underdown <johnunderdown AT STI.SYNOVUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 09:13:54 -0500
Hi Wanda,

We still use tape for the copypool, but this is now not a viable DR solutions
due to the time factor to restore from tape. We are presently evaluating ISCSI
and NAS solutions for a disk copypool at a remote site, using 1Gb Ethernet (we
have dark fibre to our DR site). The two ISCSI products we have evaluated so
far are Ipstor from Falconstor and SANsympthony from DataCore, both are great
products. The NAS solutions we are presently looking at is NetWare 6's NSS
(with CIFS since our TSM Server is W2K), it's looking really good since is can
server up a 8TB volume and the copypool can use a device type of FILE. Novell's
solution is also the most affordable (free since we are a big NetWare shop).
Our Audit department has already given us the OK to go to disk for the copypool
as long as it's offsite. I'll backup the db to the offsite storage also, so in
theory if we lose our TSM server, i can build a new one restore the DB from the
remote site and start doing restores immediately from the copypool, if the
backupool is gone TSM automatically pulls files from the copypool. I hope to
have this all in place in the next couple months (if not sooner) using ATA
drive enclosures, right now i can get 3.2 TB for $10,000. i have $25,000 in the
budget, so if i go with the NetWare NAS i should easily make it.

Let me know how this all sounds to you or if you have any further questions.

john
Synovus

>>> "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT jhuapl DOT edu> 01/30/03 05:11PM >>>
Hi John,

We have also starting looking at an all disk backuppool for the future.
I am curious how you handle:

1) backups of your DB
2) disaster recovery planning/offsite backups

Thanks!
Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab