ADSM-L

Re: 3590 Partitioning

2003-01-28 09:31:38
Subject: Re: 3590 Partitioning
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 08:55:26 -0500
Steve, a more important question (assuming these are mksysb or sysback
images) -- can you boot and restore from these partitions? At D/R, will you
have a good way to tell (a) which tape has the backups, and (b) which
partition is system X?

I feel your pain on using an entire tape for a couple of gig -- to the point
that all my AIX systems now have an internal 4 mm DDS drive used ONLY for
mksysb. Even at $2500 (US) per system, I didn't have much trouble selling
this to management. We have a 3584 with LTO drives for the TSM library (and
no SAN yet, but it is on the way this year).

Tom Kauffman
NIBCO, Inc