ADSM-L

Re: System Object Restore Win2K

2003-01-27 09:32:39
Subject: Re: System Object Restore Win2K
From: Kyle Payne <payne AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 08:30:08 -0600
With Win2K you do not install to a new folder like you do with NT4.0.

1) Install Win2K into its original directory.
2) Make sure to have the Win2K server installed as part of a workgroup, any
group will do.  Do not make it part of the domain.
3) Install the TSM client.
4) Restore the System drive (usually C:).  Note that if you have other
drives (i.e. D:, E:) then you can restore them now but if they are large
then you can wait.  Note, do not select the system objects at this point.
If you notice the redbook explains this as well.
5) At the end of the System drive restore select "NO" when asked to reboot.
6) Restore the system objects
7) Reboot.
8) When the server comes back up it should be able to log into the domain.
If you installed the Win2K server as part of the domain back in step 2 then
a new SID may have been created for this server.  If that happened then you
will have to delete the server from the domain and add it back.

Kyle Payne
kpayne AT berbee DOT com