ADSM-L

Client doesn't ask for password when IP address changes?

2003-01-27 05:46:31
Subject: Client doesn't ask for password when IP address changes?
From: Alexander Verkooijen <alexander AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 11:45:52 +0100
Hello,

I'm using TSM (5.1.1.0 client) on Windows XP (SP 1)
to backup my PC at home.
This weekend I switched from one ISP (cable)
to another ISP (ADSL).
This of course changed the IP address and hostname
of my PC completely.

The change of IP adress is clearly visible in the
activity log on the server when I search for the
"Session XXXX started for node BLAHBLA" message.

When I started the backup client after the change
it never asked me for the node's password,
it just logged on to the server and allowed
me to start a backup.

I'm absolutely sure of this because I've forgotten
the password so when it *had* asked me for I wouldn't
have known it.

I can't explain this behaviour. Shouldn't the client prompt
for a password when I change to IP address or hostname?

Our server is 4.2.3.2 (4.2.3.3 in a few hours) on
AIX 4.3.3.0

Kind regards,

Alexander
Alexander Verkooijen        (alexander AT sara DOT nl)
Senior Systems Programmer
SARA High Performance Computing