ADSM-L

Re: Quickie: can BACKUP STGPOOL be preempted by a client restore?

2003-01-24 20:35:58
Subject: Re: Quickie: can BACKUP STGPOOL be preempted by a client restore?
From: Paul Ripke <stixpjr AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 12:35:19 +1100
On Saturday, Jan 25, 2003, at 06:23 Australia/Sydney, Jay Volovsek
wrote:

I would like to expand this question to include Space Reclamations.  Is
there a setting in TSM to tell it that any Space  Reclamations are of
lower
priority than migrations and backup stg pool procedures?  I have
issues when
a bunch of Space Reclamations will start before migrations and backup
stg
pools, even thou the space reclamations were added to the process list
after
the other ones.

Anyone know of a way to stop this?

Not as far as I know. I believe that migrations, backup stgpool and
reclamations are of "equal" priority, but I don't have the docs on hand
- I'm
sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

At our shop, the reclamations are only kicked off after TSM has
finished the
rest of daily processing. Basically, the (simplified) order is:

backup stgpool disk to offsite
migrate disk to primaryTape
backup stgpool primaryTape to offsite
backup TSM database
eject offsite volumes
run reclamations

This is mainly to stop tape drive contention - we have two TSM servers
with
7 tape drives, of which 3 are fibre attached and shared between the two
- so
each server sees 5 drives. Works most of the time.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke
Unix/OpenVMS/DBA