ADSM-L

Re: audit library

2003-01-24 06:02:30
Subject: Re: audit library
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 05:59:53 -0500
>one of my drives in the library continues to produce errors  and is taken
>offline by tsm.
>01/24/03 11:00:45 ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/rmt1, error number=46.
>01/24/03 11:00:51 ANR8792E Unrecoverable drive failures on drive RMT1
>(/dev/rmt1); drive is now taken offline.
>errno 46 is defined within aix as being a device not ready error.
>
>now I've tried to delete and redefine the unit on both platforms, but no
>success. ...

Whoa, whoa!  Basic stuff here:  If you get a drive failure, the first thing to
do is physically examine the drive, utilizing the User's Guide for whatever
type of drive it is, as in checking the LCD panel for error indications,
the drive's power state, tape mount/dismount failure, etc.
You perform software commands only as is appropriate to deal with a problem
according to its manifestations.  Running commands at random will at a minimum
waste your time, and can make the problem worse.

  Richard Sims, BU