ADSM-L

Re: Measuring progress of copy stgpool operation

2003-01-24 05:57:49
Subject: Re: Measuring progress of copy stgpool operation
From: Paul Ripke <stixpjr AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:57:15 +1100
On Friday, Jan 24, 2003, at 19:46 Australia/Sydney, Kelly J. Lipp wrote:

This is a specific requirement of a more general topic: since TSM know
what
it is doing, it can certainly tell us.  I would ask development to
give us
some dashboard information about lots of things that go on within.
Other
items I can think of: during a restore, how many objects left to
restore.
Perhaps a count at the beginning as well.  Maybe even the volumes that
are
going to be required during the restore.  During the migration/backup
stg/etc of a very large file, the number of MB already moved to tape
so one
can get an idea how long the operation might take.  Especially
interesting
if one has to down the server for some reason (if only I had waited
another
two minutes, I wouldn't have to watch that 90GB file move again!).

I agree! Although, in this particular instance, we do a "preview=yes"
before
doing the real backup stgpool. At least you then know (approximately)
how much
it has to do. But, like you've stated, there is still no telling how far
through copying that 90 GB file it is.

Cheers,
--
Paul Ripke