ADSM-L

Re: audit library

2003-01-24 05:51:17
Subject: Re: audit library
From: Paul Ripke <stixpjr AT BIGPOND.NET DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 21:50:36 +1100
On Friday, Jan 24, 2003, at 21:20 Australia/Sydney, Michelle Wiedeman
wrote:

one of my drives in the library continues to produce errors  and is
taken
offline by tsm.
01/24/03 11:00:45 ANR8779E Unable to open drive /dev/rmt1, error
number=46.
01/24/03 11:00:51 ANR8792E Unrecoverable drive failures on drive RMT1
(/dev/rmt1); drive is now taken offline.
errno 46 is defined within aix as being a device not ready error.

now I've tried to delete and redefine the unit on both platforms, but
no
success.

Both platforms? Is the drive being shared?

the server no comes with an advice to audit the library, since I have
no
clues anymore I'm willing to try this, but have never done it before.
The
manuals speak of it as being quite time consuming but nowhere it says
approx. how long and if I can in some way reduce the time.
The manuals also state that some processes will be halted for as long
as the
audit is running, but again nowhere it states which ones or maybe all
processes.

If this is a 3494 library, I've done several audits with no hassle.
Since
the 3494's library controller maintains a database of all the tapes
present
in the library, a TSM "audit library" just validates the libvolumes
table
against the library. It takes less than a minute.

BTW, if your drives are 3590s, I've seen problems like you describe
before.
For us, it was a combination of bad tapes, and old drive firmware. An
audit
library isn't going to help.

does anyone have a clue??

I hope some of us do! :-)