ADSM-L

Re: NT restore to different hardware

2003-01-23 16:05:28
Subject: Re: NT restore to different hardware
From: "Braich, Raminder" <raminder.braich AT DAVEY DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 15:54:36 -0500
-First of all, TSM is only an application that runs on OS.  It is not a
super software that can work for all types of machines for all ages of OS.
It must work with OS to call file system to read/write files.

It may not run on all OS's but according to this
http://www.tivoli.com/products/index/storage-mgr/platforms.html link it says
Win NT 4.0 SP 6a is a supported platform. To me supported means that all the
components of the application work for that platform. Now does supported
platform mean that TSM works only for backups on NT and not for restores? If
that is what supported platform means then I am SOL.

-Therefore, a disaster recovery plan must have a COMPATIBLE machines at DR
site.  If a production site is running W2K on P4 with UTP 10BaseT Ethernet
card and I don't believe DR site will use a 286 machine with BNC card.  Not
only W2K may not work not a 286, one may not be able to find a network
driver for this machine.

How do you define compatibility? Would a Compaq server be compatible with a
dell or an IBM server. All of them can run many versions of windows. Does it
mean they are compatible. If they are, how about their network cards and
video cards? Every manufacturer uses different cards. Even if you take the
same manufacturer IBM 7000 M10 vs. IBM eserver x360 are they compatible?
Well, they are not at least to WIN NT.

-I believe the basic requirement for a DR is to have COMPATIBLE machine that
can boot up with the same OS version, same type of tape drive and sufficient
disk space to restore data.  I wouldn't expect my Window XP server running
on P4 to be able to start up on IBM AT with 640MB, right ?  So the planning
of DR is to have compatible machines, not identical machines.

I highly doubt if you just need compatible hardware. Were it so simple, how
come there is no documentation for the restore procedure? As others have
said the restore process is not even supported by MS. No you may not be able
to start Windows XP server running on P4 on IBM AT but you sure can run it
on a pc with 300Mhz with 128MB.

The way to set up DR for TSM is to have a compatible machine with the same
OS version, patch level, same type of tape drive.  Install TSM on it.  If
anything happened on TSM at production site, just restore TSM database and
it will be fine.  It is not necessary to have identical machine, but you
have ensure that you have the same OS version, patch level, same TSM version
and already configure the tape drive/library.  For example, you can have a
RAID disk for TSM server at production site but non-RAID disk as TSM server
for DR site.  TSM does not carry about RAID because it is OS level, NOT TSM
level.  So can have different machine in this sense.

Thanks & Regards
William

|         |           Salak Juraj      |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           T>               |
|         |           Sent by: "ADSM:  |
|         |           Dist Stor        |
|         |           Manager"         |
|         |           <[email protected]|
|         |           .EDU>            |
|         |           23/01/2003 22:34 |
|         |           "ADSM: Dist Stor |
|         |           Manager"         |

-----------------------------------------------------------------|

  |       To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
|
  |       cc:
|
  |       Subject:  Re: NT restore to different hardware

-----------------------------------------------------------------|

Hello Raminder,

It is not that simple.

Do not get confused with reasons for
this problem - this is definitely an operating system related issue, and not
one of backup software.

Some procedures for disaster recovery on different hardware
are described on microsoft web site but are NOT supported. Their limitations
are almost independant on backup software.

It is even not sure if you will be able to perform
installation of today´s operating system
on a computer from 2008,
so why would you expect it from a backup software?

Basically you complain about only one particular dependency among many
others:

 - your data depends now as well as in 5 years on all of:know-how,
application, organisational issues (passwords!)

 - applications depends on know-how and on operating system

 - operating system depends on know-how and on hardware

 - not to speak about cross-dependencies with other applications, network,
legal regulations..

No backup software will ever be able to backup all of it,
you only can create your backup for your particular configuration.

maximalistic solution:

        if this problem is important enough,
        keep copy of all dependant parts,
        like    data,
                manuals, passwords, access lists,
                SW installation media,
                SW installation and configuration description,
        a n d  quite naturally a copy of hardware as well.

best regards ;)
juraj Salak