ADSM-L

Generate Backupset not getting all files?

2003-01-23 13:07:56
Subject: Generate Backupset not getting all files?
From: Chris Murphy <cmurphy AT IDL.STATE.ID DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 11:07:04 -0700
Greetings TSM'ers,

Environment:
Server: Win2k-SP3       TSM V5.1.1.0
Client: NT4-SP6         TSM V5.1.5.0

I am trying to generate a backupset for a new node. The generation only
takes a few minutes (for a node with 30GB of data writing to a DDS4 drive ?)
and returns successfully.  However, the only sequential volumes mounted are
2 FILE type volumes used to store the directory info (via DIRMC option).
The node file data is in a collocated tape pool (only takes 1 LTO tape) and
that tape volume is never mounted.  If I do a Q BACKUPSETCONTENTS on this
set, I get a listing of the directories from this node, but not all the
files. Only a few files show up at the bottom of the list.  Yet, the
generation completes with a completion state of success.  Now, there is a
diskpool caching in front of this tape pool, and that pool is used during
the process.  Essentially it appears to be using only the diskpool cache and
not the tape, and skips files that are not in the disk cache.  The command I
used was:

GENERATE BACKUPSET <nodename> TEST-BKPSET * dev=DDS4 ret=10

Also tried:

GENERATE BACKUPSET <nodename> TEST-BKPSET 1,2,3 dev=DDS4 ret=10
NAMETYPE=FSID

Both produce the same result.  I have generated many backupsets for other
nodes without issue using this same syntax.   Ideas?  Its probably a PEBKAC
(Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair) error, but I am not seeing it!
Thanx in advance all!

Chris Murphy
IT Network Analyst
Idaho Dept. of Lands