ADSM-L

Re: Quick expiration question

2003-01-20 04:02:03
Subject: Re: Quick expiration question
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 03:19:28 +0200
I always thought both versions and retention criteria are evaluated when
expiration is run. Never tested it until recently. The results were more
than strange:
1. Due to some business reasons it was requested all current versions to
be held (i.e. expiration had to be disabled temporarely)
2. It took longer than expected and TSM server accumulated more versions
than specified by verexist copygroup setting
3. Request for restore of data more than N versions back was submitted and
failed. Further investigation showed data *is* in the server - queries
against 'backups' and 'contents' tables show the files. However the client
*cannot* see those "too old" versions. Increase of vere-setting did not
help.
Your explanation does not explain all the aspects of seen behavior but I
assume the latter is a bug. Upon my investigation completion a PMR will be
opened.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>