ADSM-L

WINNT 4.0 SP5 PDC wasn't backing up the software hive in the registry

2003-01-16 10:19:54
Subject: WINNT 4.0 SP5 PDC wasn't backing up the software hive in the registry
From: Lisa Cabanas <CABANL AT MODOT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:29:16 -0600
Good morning, all,

I am trying to figure this one out, and I need help (it was a long night).
Last night one of our PDC bit the dust, and I was attempting to rebuild the
client on identical hardware (and dissimilar hardware, too).

It didn't work (it's always worked before).  What I determined to be the
problem was that there were NO software registry hives backed up for that
client at all.  The rest of them were there, and it was like it should be
(1 active and 4 inactive versions).  I have an AIX 4.3.3 ML10 with 4.2.1.9
server code and the client code was at 4.2.1.20.

The PDC's last successful backup was on 1/10 and stopped backing up 1/11,
due to

ANS4036E An error occurred saving the registry key.

ANS1512E Scheduled event 'NT_2230' failed.  Return code = 4.

It did this 1/11 thru yesterday, when our OPS staff notified me that there
was a problem.  After it would return the error code, it would set up for
the next night's backup.  Unfortunately, there were major network problems
over the weekend, and they were told they didn't need to weed out the
"real" errors/failures from the ones that were caused by connectivity, so
this didn't get caught until yesterday.) When I got on to the server, there
were messages about the password in the registry (which I thought was the
problem with the registry), so I did a dsmcutil updatepw, and stopped and
restarted the scheduler.

I tried to force a back up, and then got this error msg:

01/15/2003 12:47:21PM ANS4023E Error processing '\\d5n01\c$': file
input/output error

And I asked if the server could be rebooted- and it never came back up.

Why was the reg key gone?  There should have been *at least* inactive
copies, if the registry error registered with TSM as a "deletion" (3 vers
if deleted).

Any body have any ideas what when wrong?  I know I don't, and I need to be
able to explain my failure restoring the PDC with TSM (I have done bare
metals before, but my boss doesn't particularly care for me, and this
failure is a real opportunity for him-- no body cares about the backups,
they just care about the restores-- and when it works it is unremarkable,
but when it doesn't it's almost catastrophic).

any help would be appreciated!!

-lisa