ADSM-L

Problem with SCSI->Fibr (Pathlight) Only Information

2003-01-16 10:16:31
Subject: Problem with SCSI->Fibr (Pathlight) Only Information
From: Schmitz Garnebode <Schmitz.Garnebode AT SWEST DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 14:05:25 +0100
Hi folks,

we have found a bug in the tsm device driver.
Our configuration are:

aix 4.3.3 with fibre-channel adapter
DISC Jukebox 525 with SONY F561 Worm Drives (SCSI)
We connect the aix and the jukebox with a PATHLIGHT bridge. (fibre to scsi)

The problem ist the Pathlight bridge support online 2K blocks (for optical
device)
The tsm device driver send dynamic blocks with 4K size.

We have done a backup an no error are reported.
When we do a "audit vol" on the media many errors are reported in the
actlivitylog

A trace from the devicedrive says. "Hey i have send 4K and have a rest from the
block but the returncode is null"
No error was reportet!!!! We can't restore the files.

Now we have a firmwareupdate from Pathlight for 4K support and a new
devicedriver.
Now everything is right.

When anybody have a similar configuration. Check your worm/data !!

MfG

Michael Garnebode
Diplom-Informatiker
Schmitz Rz Consult GmbH
Bachstr.1
50259 Pulheim
Tel.: 02238/922266
Fax: 02238/922267
EMail: michael.garnebode AT schmitz-rz-consult DOT de

im Auftrag der SWEST

Sparkassen-Informatik-Services West GmbH
Abt. : 731-52400 Spacemanagement
Postanschrift :
      Postfach 10 53 10
      D - 40044 Düsseldorf