ADSM-L

Re: TDP - Client Rename

2003-01-15 11:29:43
Subject: Re: TDP - Client Rename
From: "Brian L. Nick" <BRIAN.NICK AT PHOENIXWM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 11:21:43 -0500
Thanks Del. I was aware of the file space rename and I did consider leaving
the old name there for 45 days  (don't ask), but as you said we will be
testing this before we apply the procedure to any production server. I was
just looking for a head start.

 Thanks again for the information.

 - Brian

                   "Del Hoobler"
                   <[email protected]        To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                   BM.COM>              cc:
                   Sent by:             Subject:     Re: TDP - Client Rename
                   "ADSM: Dist
                   Stor Manager"
                   <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MA
                   RIST.EDU>

                   01/15/03
                   10:23 AM
                   Please
                   respond to
                   "ADSM: Dist
                   Stor Manager"

Brian,

If you are renaming the TSM NODENAME and the Domino server name,
all of your old backups (database and log files) will remain
on the TSM server... untouched.

Are you planning to rename the filespaces too?
TDP for Domino filespaces have the Domino Server in the name,
and so, if you do not rename the filespaces, those filespaces
will remain on the TSM server forever and not expire.
If you rename the filespaces to match the Domino server name,
(be careful of the case that you rename the spaces to because
the Domino server name is stored case sensitive on the TSM Server)
then you might be able make this work seemlessly.
I haven't tried it myself... so you may want to try this out
with a test server first.

If you want to make it easy... you could just keep the
old data around by not renaming the filespaces, run a new
full backup of all of your Domino databases, and when
your are far enough into your new renamed server backup cycle,
you could delete the old data from the TSM Server.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.