ADSM-L

Re: Database question

2003-01-14 16:58:54
Subject: Re: Database question
From: Justin Bleistein <justin.bleistein AT SUNGARD DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:48:32 -0500
      The "dsmserv upgrade" method is an interesting way. I would like to
hear other people's input into that. But how we did it when we had to move
from one H80 to another is we backed the database up to tape. Turned off
H80 1 and then powered up H80 2 and went through a dr procedure on that
system basically. We created the logical volume, the file system, then ran
a dsmserv format command for the log and database then we simply defined
our devconfig and dsmserv.opt file after we installed the TSM server
software of course and restored and we were up in no time. Of course this
was to and from the same version with the exception of a maintenance level
or two. Just an idea on how we did it and I didn't find it very difficult
or any gotchas (to the same version) of course. You may need to use the
upgrade command going from one version to another. I'm not really sure I
would think so. Thanks!.

--Justin Richard Bleistein
Unix Systems Administrator (Sungard eSourcing)
Desk: (856) 866 - 4017
Cell:    (856) 912 - 0861
Email: justin.bleistein AT sungard DOT com

                      Jeff G Kloek
                      <Jeff.Kloek@IPAPE        To:       ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST
DOT EDU
                      R.COM>                   cc:
                      Sent by: "ADSM:          Subject:  Database question
                      Dist Stor
                      Manager"
                      <[email protected]
                      .EDU>

                      01/14/2003 04:47
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      "ADSM: Dist Stor
                      Manager"

Part of our upcoming move includes moving from TSM 4.2.1.9 on AIX 4.3.3 on
RS6000 S7A to TSM 5.1.5.4 on P670 on AIX 5.2.
I've set up an instance of TSM at that level on the P670. Now I'm trying to
fathom the best way to actually move the database
over. I'm going to be dropping all the disk and tape connections from the
S7A and connecting them to the P670. I'll have time
to get all the devices defined and paths defined, so that with the
exception of the path statements, the storage pools, libraries
tape drives, log directories, db directories and files will all be
configured the same as before. My question is this: If I did all the
above, could I simply do a "dsmserv upgradedb" and let it fly?
I'm sure this isn't supported, so I'm just wondering aloud.

Thanks!!