ADSM-L

Re: Why my library doesn't compress data?

2003-01-13 11:31:53
Subject: Re: Why my library doesn't compress data?
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 08:26:04 -0800
OK... TSM will estimate the capacity of a device/media pair based on what
you set with the device class definition and if nothing is specified there,
it will be based on what the ~driver~ reports, THIS IS WHILE A VOLUME IS
FILLING.
Now what is actually shown as the capacity once the volume is FULL is what
has been written to the tape.
What does all of this mean ?
I'd say the 6500MB is close to your stated 7 GB native capacity... if you do
a "q dev f=d" and see "Est/Max Capacity (MB)" as blank, the 6500 is being
provided by the device driver and that is where it is coming from...
Now the 21 GB is an ~estimated at 3/1 compression" and if your full volumes
show only about 12-13 GB that means that either you have uncompressed
cliient that doesn't compress very well OR you have a mixture of compressed
& uncompressed (at the client) client data.
Basically when a tape's EndOfTape marker is reached, TSM assigns a capacity
equal to what it has written to that specific tape.
If you front end things with a diskpool, the amount reported on a tape is
what was read from the disk and put on the tape.
Client compressed data doesn't reduce at the tape drive with tape drive
compression SO if all your client data came into your tsm server as ~client
compressed~, I'd expect the capacity of FULL tapes to  be about 7 GB.
If all your data came in from your clients uncompressed AND it were all
Oracle DB file type data I'd expect your FULL volumes to be about 21-22 GB.
If any of the data is something like a .zip file or other type of already
compressed data outside tsm client compression, it won't compress at the
drive either and that can cause variations in what the capacity is reported
on FULL volumes.

whew, my explanation isn't very pretty but does it clear things up a bit ???

Dwight