ADSM-L

Reassignment of existing backup filespaces

2003-01-12 22:40:19
Subject: Reassignment of existing backup filespaces
From: David le Blanc <David.leBlanc AT IDENTITY-SOLUTIONS.COM DOT AU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:39:33 +1100
Hi TSMers,

I'm in the position of recommending a solution to a sticky problem.

A customer has sold off some infrastructure and applications, and
wishes all backups associated with that infrastructure to go along
with the hardware.

Unfortunately, the hardware is running some applications which
are not leaving, but are in-fact being rehosted before the equipment
leaves.

*ASSUMING* the data I want to keep is in a particular file system
(that is, no need to worry about sub-filesystem granularity)
I can 'export node' the appropriate filespaces and re-import
them under an alternate node name.  Then when the new node has
these filespaces, I can delete the original and give away the media
and a copy of the database.

The re-hosted application will then automatically back up to the
imported filespaces under the new host name, and no historical
information will be lost.

The $US10Million question is :-

Can I reassign a file space from NodeX to NodeY without going
through the 'export/import' debacle?  There is after all, almost
400 tapes going back I don't know how many years containing data
from some number of terabytes of IBM ESS storage.

Is there a user-land or 'hidden' command to reassign a filespace
from NodeX to NodeY?

If not, can anyone make a better suggestion on how to do this?

Cheers.
David