ADSM-L

How to find zero byte files that are backed up ?

2003-01-09 07:57:52
Subject: How to find zero byte files that are backed up ?
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 04:48:05 -0800
OK, I've had a question put to me and so far I just don't know...
With such viruses, as the ones that zero out files under windows, is there
an easy way to see if TSM is holding any zero-byte files ? ? ?  (ie. check
from the TSM server for potentially infected client nodes...)

I tried testing under Unix (AIX) with a zero byte file and...
I thought that I might be able to look in the adsm.contents table for
file_size=0
        but what I found is (two things)...
        1) due to aggregates, the file size listed for most files is the
size of the aggregate
        2) if you have a zero byte file, you won't even have an entry for it
in the adsm.contents table
The output of a "show version" doesn't list anything about filesize...

Anyone have any tricks to do such a discovery ? (of zero byte backed up
files)

Dwight