ADSM-L

Re: On which volumes are my files?

2003-01-07 07:22:08
Subject: Re: On which volumes are my files?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 07:18:55 -0500
>Although I agree perfectly that your approach would be much faster it is
>not feasible in this case:
>The reason behind the original question was to get in advance a list of
>offsite tapes which have to be checked in for a file or directory
>restore operation before starting the restore itself. If you have no
>collocation and quite small tapes like 3570 the list you will get by a
>simple volumeusage query can be fairly large and it would be nice to
>shrink it to the really needed tapes.

A very obvious but conspicuously missing option from client restores is
a Preview capability, which would nicely address this restoral planning
need that has historically been the subject of so many postings.
When you think about it, it's rather amazing that the product has us
embark upon restorals with no fore-awareness of what will be involved.
A Preview capability would tell us:
 - What volumes would be required;
 - If all the volumes are available (onsite, offsite, volumes Unavailable,
   files Damaged, etc.);
 - If sufficient drives are available, and how many would be used;
 - The amount of data that will be restored.

As I say, all this is too obvious... So how come Development has never added
such a capability to the product?  Competition with other products should
alone be enough incentive.

   Richard Sims, BU