ADSM-L

Re: Unmounting volumes...

2003-01-02 16:51:22
Subject: Re: Unmounting volumes...
From: John Coffman <JCoffman AT MCG-INS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 15:48:31 -0600
Hello Peter,
     I kinda had the same problem. I had an error with a tape  and it made
the drive go off line. But my tape was ejected and then marked as
unavailable.  I issued the update drive command and update vol command to
make them on-line. I still had an error on the physical drive. I called
hardware support. They came out and ran diagnostics on the suspect drive.
It passed the read/write test. He then opened the 3584 front door. Held the
reset button until the LCD started to flash. I had to take TSM off line
first though.

Hope this helps,
John

                    Peter Ford
                    <PFord@STENTOR       To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    .COM>                cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Unmounting volumes...
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    01/02/2003
                    01:17 PM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

I have two tapes that are mounted and "In Use" according to the q mount
command.  Both volumes were mounted by a reclamation process and both
volumes encountered I/O errors while reclaiming their data.  Once the I/O
error happened, the drives were made Unavailable by TSM and the reclamation
process moved on to the next tape.  This left the tape with the error in
the drive and still "In Use".  The reclamation process is no longer
running, but these tapes not going Idle.

My question is, how to I dismount these tapes (from within TSM) and set
these drives back online?  We are running TSM 4.2.2.13, on Windows 2K, with
an IBM 3584 tape library.  The web interface for the 3584 tape library is
currently not accessible (due to another issue).

Thanks in advance.
Peter

    Peter Ford
    System Engineer

Stentor, Inc.
 5000 Marina Blvd,
 Brisbane, CA 94005-1811
 Main Phone: 650-228-5555
 Direct Line: 650-228-5409
 Fax: 650 228-5566
 http://www.stentor.com
 pford AT stentor DOT com

The content of this email message and any attachments are confidential and may
be legally privileged, intended solely for the addressee.  If you are not the
intended recipient, be advised that any use, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this e-mail is strictly prohibited.  If you receive this message in
error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and destroy the
message and its attachments.