ADSM-L

Re: Doubts to Schedule Backups on an Exchange cluster

2003-01-01 19:49:18
Subject: Re: Doubts to Schedule Backups on an Exchange cluster
From: Del Hoobler <hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 19:44:55 -0500
Henry,

Please refer to the Appendix in the
Data Protection for Exchange User's Guide.
It discusses the subject for setting up
scheduling for an Exchange Server in an
Active/Passive cluster. An Active/Active
Exchange Server cluster configuration
is simply two Active/Passive setups.

You need to set up DP for Exchange on both sides
of the cluster for EACH server in the
Active/Active cluster.

A point to keep in mind when setting this up
for Active/Active clusters... always treat
Exchange servers in an Active/Active cluster
as COMPLETELY separate servers, which they are.
That means, they should have different TSM NODENAMEs,
different options files, different DP for Exchange
configuration files, etc. They are two distinct
and separate servers and must be treated that way
when it comes to backing them up.

For your example... you will set up four TSM scheduler
services, one on each machine for Exchange Virtual Server #1
and one on each machine for Exchange Virtual Server #2.
And you will create two cluster resources (one for each
Exchange Virutal Server) that refer to the scheduler services
for each server.

Thanks,

Del

Del Hoobler
IBM Corporation
hoobler AT us.ibm DOT com

- Never cut what can be untied.
- Commit yourself to constant improvement.