ADSM-L

Re: File Expiration

2002-12-27 10:10:15
Subject: Re: File Expiration
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 04:43:14 +0200
Q1.     TSM server expires offsite (copypool) copies together with primary
copies according to rules set in copygroups. You can see how utilization
decreases on offsite volumes after expiration run. Actually you are
looking for *reclamation* of offsite volumes. Very descriptive and short
(half page) explanation can be found in redbook "TSM Concepts" (SG24-4877,
*great book*), p. 88, "5.4.2 Reclamation of offsite volumes".
In short: verify the "Reclamation Threshold" in the output of 'q stg
<offsite-pool> f=d' is below 100 (%).

Q2.     I cannot understand what exactly are you doing but suspect your
tapes are already marked on-their-way-to-offsite using 'move drmedia' and
thus TSM is not using them. Properly configured offsite rotation scheme
and offsite reclamation should be implemented. They can allow you to have
"10%" from yesterday to be written through reclamation together with
today's "10%". When those "20%" reach the vault previous tape will become
eligible to be brought back.
Chapter 9. "Tivoli Disaster Recovery Manager" of the same redbook may be
of big help on this topic.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Baldenegro, Raymond - Perot" <rbalden AT CHW DOT EDU>
27.12.2002 01:20