ADSM-L

Re: Comm timeout value

2002-12-24 18:52:03
Subject: Re: Comm timeout value
From: Zlatko Krastev <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 01:24:25 +0200
You are already having the value too high. Do not mess commtimeout with
idletimeout.
Commtimeout is for client-server conversation. In LAN environment default
value of 60 (seconds) ought to be more than enough. For WAN links it may
need to be increased but I will not go beyond 150-180 sec.
Idletimeout is for sessions doing nothing to be cancelled by the server.
For long running backups (several hours) the collector thread's session
might be cancelled by the server. Increase of this option's value to the
length of longest backup might be a workaround. But even for it the value
of 1500 (it is measured in minutes) is too high - more than 24 hours.

You are having some network problem and the best way ought to be
discussion with your network admin.

--> ... The most I have seen out here posted is the 1500 ...

Number 1500 gets too often in list postings but as default TSM server port
not as commtimeout option setting !?!

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

"Anderson, Michael - HMIS" <Michael_Anderson AT HMIS DOT ORG>
23.12.2002 21:33