ADSM-L

Audit DB

2002-12-23 16:28:26
Subject: Audit DB
From: Mario Behring <mariobehring AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 10:51:17 -0800
Hi list,

I have to check the consistencies between a TSM database and the volume tapes
used to backup and archive files. The library is an IBM 3590 with two drives
and it is not automated, I mean, there is an operator that feeds it with the
tapes TSM asks for.

The TSM Server is 5.1 and is running on a W2K box. I've been checking my
options and there is the audit library command. But there is also the audit db
procedure, which is a little bit controversial, some like it, some fear it.

I really need to check my TSM database against the tapes used for backup and
archive operations and, based on stuff I read, I think that audit db is the
best option for this task. But I would like to have more documentation
regarding this command,  how does it run, what considerations and actions
should be taken before issuing the command, etc.

One important thing, I guess, is that all backup and archive operations are
peformed directly to tape, there is no disk storage pools in this environment.

Any help will be apreciated.

Thanks.

Should I use the audit db or audit library command ? And what are the
implications of using such commands ? What should I expect?

I have a 3 days window to perform this task, beggining today. Any help will be
highly apreciated.

Thanks.

Mario Behring
IT Consultant