ADSM-L

Re: [Very OT] some dates... was:Can we cut out the "me, toos"

2002-12-19 15:26:53
Subject: Re: [Very OT] some dates... was:Can we cut out the "me, toos"
From: Remco Post <r.post AT SARA DOT NL>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 21:26:11 +0100
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:12:56 -0700
"Kai Hintze" <kai.hintze AT ALBERTSONS DOT COM> wrote:

> Hey guys, lighten up! And read what he said. Those of us forced to use
> poorly designed mailers might find it easier to have  both addresses
> in the Reply-To field. Personally, I disagree, but I will do so
> politely. (And I can speak with authority about poorly designed
> mailers. I am forced not only to use Outlook, but some bright person
> disabled "Reply All" so that in my office  we _have_ to cut and paste
> to carry out a group conversation.)

ouch...

> Yes, people should think about who they are sending to. Yes, education
> might help, but awareness helps more. But a good mail client would
> make it easier.

definately true.

> BTW, netiquette never was what it used to be (or at least it hasn't
> been since 1979).

Which was about three years after ethernet was invented, and about the
time ip was thought of (rfc760 is dated january 1980, ien111 is of aug
1979, and that is based on some older ien's that I didn't find... see
note), and about 18 years before rfc1945, the rfc discussing http, which
IMHO (and others...) is the killer app for 'the net' and must have lead
to every person on this globe's desire to 'get connected' (yes I had to
look those up:-)

Guess you never though much of ip and the internet, makes me wonder
about why you are even in this buisiness :-)

> - Kai.
>
> "Do just once what others say you can't do, and you will never pay
> attention to their limitations again." -- James R. Cook

note:

on http://me.in-berlin.de/~surveyor/perls/cshg-suchen.cgi?suchen=IEN I
found about the only reference google could find to the older ien's,
ien111 of aug 1979 is the first to use the term internet protocol...

Greetings,

Remco Post