ADSM-L

synthetic fullbackup

2002-12-18 08:09:39
Subject: synthetic fullbackup
From: Schwarz Werner <Werner.Schwarz AT BEDAG DOT CH>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 14:07:36 +0100
We are looking for a solution for the following problem:
During a restore of a whole TSM-client we found that the needed ACTIVE
backup_versions were heavy scattered around our virtual tape-volumes. This
was the main reason for an unacceptable long restore-time. Disk as a primary
STGPool is too expensive.
Now we are looking for methods to 'cluster together' all active
backup_versions per node without backing up the whole TSM-client every night
(like VERITAS NetbackUp). Ideally the full_backup should be done in the
TSM-server (starting with an initial full_backup, then combining the
full_backup and the incrementals from next run to build the next synthetic
full_backup and so on). We already have activated COLLOCATE. Has anybody
good ideas?
thanks,
werner