ADSM-L

Re: 3584 library loading

2002-12-17 16:54:54
Subject: Re: 3584 library loading
From: Matthew Glanville <matthew.glanville AT KODAK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 16:52:46 -0500
At 20:02 -0600 12/16/02, Mark Stapleton wrote:

>>If you're loading >10 tapes:
>>1. Leisurely stroll to the library, open it up, place all tapes directly
>>into empty slots into the library.
>>Even easier--there's no request to reply to.

>Yeah, but it requires taking the library offline while the tapes are
>loaded; sort of defeats the purpose of having a bulk entry door.

I don't mind the taking the library offline to do the bulk loads, we do do
that when there are >10-30 tapes, the 3584 is fast when it comes to
verifying it's inventory with the barcode reader.  It doesn't take that
long at all.
Thus it is not offline for long.

But, I have found bulk loading tapes with the door open on the 3584 is a
problem when tapes are in the drives. I had to figure out which slots NOT
to put tapes into because those are the slots that the tapes in the drives
use.  When TSM tries to unload a tape after you closed the door it knew
which slot it was in and tries to put it there, thus failing if you have
manually put a tape there.  A simple audit library check=barcode don't work
as it wont run until all drives are unmounted... Is that called a paradox
or a conundrum?

I agree that some of us are just spoiled by having smarter library
controllers.

But I am getting in shape by running to and from the 3584 library and the
TSM console :)

Matthew Glanville
matthew.glanville AT kodak DOT com