ADSM-L

Re: 3584 library loading

2002-12-17 09:29:32
Subject: Re: 3584 library loading
From: Matt Simpson <msimpson AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:28:57 -0500
At 20:02 -0600 12/16/02, Mark Stapleton wrote:
Try this sequence instead (for <=10 tapes):

I don't see why that sequence is an improvement over the one Matthew
was complaining about. It requires the same number of actions (too
many).  It is true that in either sequence, you have sixty minutes to
reply, so that you can "leisurely stroll" instead of "run", but
that's really not the point.

If you're loading >10 tapes:
1. Leisurely stroll to the library, open it up, place all tapes directly
into empty slots into the library.
Even easier--there's no request to reply to.

Yeah, but it requires taking the library offline while the tapes are
loaded; sort of defeats the purpose of having a bulk entry door.

I guess I've been spoiled by working with an ACSLS library that
automatically recognizes the tapes in the bulk entry door and inserts
them into the library without additional intervention, instead of
waiting for a bunch of commands, then putting one tape away, totally
mangling the next (see earlier post), and leaving the others in the
door so that the operators mistakenly think they are ejected DR tapes
and send them to the offsite storage facility.
--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300