ADSM-L

Re: 3494 libray lifespan??

2002-12-13 13:35:29
Subject: Re: 3494 libray lifespan??
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:29:48 -0800
We have 7 that are currently 6 or 7 years old and still going strong !
Two were old VTS libraries from our old MVS environment (L14's I believe is
their technical #)
        just throw away a few parts and you've got an L-12 :-)
I think all started in the area of 4 frames and most are 8 frames now.
Only the old VTS are HA libraries, all the rest have just a single accessor
(but dual grippers).
To be truthful, they will probably only be purged from the market by lack of
parts & increased cost of service only after IBM has a new line of ATL's
that they want to push out to the market and even then, other support firms
will buy old ones for parts and continue to offer service contracts.

Dwight