ADSM-L

Re: 3590 under Linux

2002-12-13 09:57:11
Subject: Re: 3590 under Linux
From: Lars Bebensee <LBebensee AT HAITEC DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 15:55:54 +0100
Hi there,

thanks everyone for the replies. So I figured out the 3590-B11 now. If it
runs in Random mode tape as well as changer commands get channeled through
the scsi id of the tape drive. So basically there will be only be lun 0 for
the drive. In 2Lun-Random mode the changer gets lun 1 and should be seen by
the scsi hba. Whether to choose Random or 2Lun Random mode actually depends
on the application (or so the manual says). We had the beast running in
2Lun Random mode on AIX/TSM so I thought I this should be the preferable
choice.
So here's what I did for everyone of you who ever wants to run a B11 on
Linux: First, I had to switch on multiple lun scanning in the hba's
(AHA-3944) BIOS. It is actually not switched on by default. Linux will
still see no lun 1 even though the hba does. Anyone who ever compiled a
Linux kernel will remember there's an option for the scsi module that
switches on multiple lun scanning (CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN). And ooooh IBM,
what arest thou writing in the file IBMtape_Magstar.ReadMe:
The 32 bit 1.2.2 version of IBMtape Linux Device Driver operates under
the following i386 compatible 32 bit environments:
  1. Red Hat 7.2 with the 2.4.9-31 smp and uni-processor kernels
  2. Red Hat 7.2 with the 2.4.9-31 enterprise kernel
.
.
The kernel rpm packages are available on the following ftp site:
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/support/enterprise/isv/kernel-archive/7.2/2.4.9-31

Beware folks (and everyone from IBM who reads this list), this kernel is
compiled WITHOUT multiple lun support enabled. So I had to download
RedHat's 2.4.9 kernel source and recompile the kernel with
CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y in the config. Watch out that you set your kernels
name -31, -31smp or -31enterprise via EXTRAVERSIONS in the main Makefile
otherwise the IBMtape modules will probably refuse to load.
Afterwards just run IBMtapeconfig and a device /dev/IBMchanger0 will be
created that you will use as the device entry for defining a path from the
tsm server to the library.

Have a nice weekend,

Cya Lars

On 13.12.2002 13:26:41 "ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" wrote:

> >> I am currently busy testing a TSM server (5.1.5.4) under Linux
(RH7.2). I
> >> have a 3590-B11 attached to the machine. The only device that shows up
in
> >> /proc/scsi/scsi is:
> >>
> >> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 05 Lun: 00
> >>   Vendor: IBM      Model: 03590B11         Rev: A429
> >>   Type:   Sequential-Access                ANSI SCSI revision: 03
> >>
> >> When I run IBMtapeconfig it creates the special device files
/dev/IBMtape0
> >> and /dev/IBMtape0n. Since I want to configure the 3590 as a library
would
> >> I not also need a device for the media changer? The docu says there
will
> >> be a device called /dev/IBMchangerX for libraries. However, no such
device
> >> shows up when the adapter scans the bus. I was setting the 3590 to
random
> >> mode as well as random 2-lun mode still, there is no changer device
> >> visible. What can be done, did someone of you ever test this beast
with
> >> Linux??
> >>
> >> Thanks Lars
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >forgive me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3590 just a tape-drive? If you've
> >placed it in some sort of library, that must either be a 3494 or a
special
> >made STK library, in either case, the library is not controlled via the
> >drive, but via some other channel (ethernet, serial, scsi).
>
> "3590" is the identifier for a type of tape technology, which encompasses
> variety of model having a variety of features.  The B11 model is a medium
> changer, like on the old 3480s - sort of a tiny library hanging off the
front of
> the drive.
>
> Lars, you didn't say what doc you are following.  The "IBM TotalStorage
Tape