ADSM-L

Complete restoration of Win NT and 2K servers from TSM

2002-12-13 08:18:54
Subject: Complete restoration of Win NT and 2K servers from TSM
From: Raghu S <raghu AT COSMOS.DCMDS.CO DOT IN>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 18:49:59 +0530
Hi,

Greetings,

Last week i done a restore drilling on one of the Windows NT server boxes.
I took the complete backup of the Win NT server on to TSM ( C: D: E: drives
including Registry and eventlog ).

C: OS and applications Applications including SAP R/3 and Oracle

D and E contains Data

I performed drill in following sequence ( on testing machine which is
identical to the Win NT server )

- I installed the Windows NT with the same partition table

- I installed TSM client

- i first restored C drive ( without WINNT folder )

- Then i restored D and E drives

- Then i restored registry

I tried to access SAP and oracle

there were lot of windows popup, and i could access the application

I repeated the above procedure again , this time with WINNT folder restored

again lot of error message windows poped up

1) Does TSM support this type restoration ( i mean without reinstalling
Applications again )

2) When shuld i restore the Registry? ( after installing OS or retoring
complete backup )

Plz throw your view on this

Thanks

Regards