ADSM-L

Re: Help on TDP for SAP R/3 Oracle

2002-12-11 07:41:47
Subject: Re: Help on TDP for SAP R/3 Oracle
From: "Cook, Dwight E" <DWIGHT.E.COOK AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 04:36:11 -0800
Well,
        I'll reference two things here, folks using TDP/R3 (threaded
version) and
         TSM client compression might want to read ALL of this.

        PMR93135 was from where tdp/r3 3.2.0.8 ignored the setting of
"client determined" compression.
This was fixed in 3.2.0.11.
Now, TDP/R3  ~RLCOMPRESSION~  sucks... all it does is take out free space
basically.
        (that is my own personal opinion)
I like setting client compression ON and using that because we see about
3.8/1 compression !
So, which can be sent between two boxes the fastest, 1 TB or 270 GB ????
(duh...)
BUT you will drive the heck out of your SAP DB servers !
Oh, and if you send to cached diskpools, ya know the old deal of
~compression on~ & ~compressalways no~
In working my PMR93135 problem, IBM Germany took things one step better...
        tdp/r3 from 3.2.0.11 (and beyond) preallocates tsm server storage at
110% of actual file size,
        if a file grows with compression it won't ~seem~ to grow and thus
resends are eliminated
        IF you happen to still see resends due to data growing with
compression,
        there is now an environment variable XINT_TSMOFFSET
        pre-allocations will occur at a +10% by default
        OR what ever value is specified in the environment variable
XINT_TSMOFFSET

COOL !!!!!!!!!

NOWWWWWWWWWWWW
        PMR04127  when using client compression and multiple sessions (like
10, 15, or 20)
                TDP/R3 just WILL NOT USE CPU CYCLES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                It is from a thread option they were using when creating
those threads.
                I currently have a fix-test executable for 3.2.0.x
                The fix won't be out until end of 1st qtr 2003 in 5.1 TDP/R3
(I know, ((((((()

IF you are running with client compression and your CPU just isn't being
utilized AND you are on a TDP/R3 that uses threads AND you need more
performance, you might look into getting the fixed executable.
That will probably take opening a problem, making reference to pmr04127,
etc.....

BUT back to your main question...
We set client compression ON in the dsm.sys file in the SErver entry
        COMPRESSION YES
Then, when using TDP/R3 3.2.0.11 & later, in the dsm.opt file we set
        COMPRESSALWAYS YES
We send the data to a cached diskpool during the night & migrate to tape
during the day.
If we experience a SAP PR failure, we restore from the cached diskpool copy.
(generally in record time)

hope this helps :-)

Dwight E. Cook
Software Application Engineer III