ADSM-L

Re: Backup stoage pools from one TSM server to another

2002-12-06 15:11:28
Subject: Re: Backup stoage pools from one TSM server to another
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:10:54 -0500
You can send the stgpool data from one TSM server to the other by setting up
"server to server" connections.  This is documented pretty well in a
"redbook" - go to www.redbooks.ibm.com and search for SG24-5244.

However, I'm not sure that's going to help you - if you don't have the
bandwidth to do more backups to your mainframe TSM server, you probably
don't have the bandwidth to transmit the storage pool data their, either.

There is also a drawback if you send the stgpool data to your mainframe TSM
server; it adds a LARGE extra step to your recovery in a DR situation.  (Not
because it's a mainframe, but because it's a second tier TSM server).  The
"metadata" describing the client backup data is still in the TSM data base
on the AIX machine; the data that is sent to the 2nd tier server is stored
in a different form once you transmit it, and you can't do restores directly
from the 2nd tier machine.

So in a DR situation, to do client restores you will have to (1) recover the
mainframe and get the mainframe TSM running again, then (2) rebuild your AIX
TSM server, restore it's data base and get it running again, then (3) start
doing client restores using the AIX TSM server.

The fastest and cheapest way to fix your problem, is to just start sending
the copy pool tapes from the AIX box offsite.