ADSM-L

Re: Ned a SQL QUERY - Where did my big files come from?

2002-12-06 09:34:00
Subject: Re: Ned a SQL QUERY - Where did my big files come from?
From: "Mr. Lindsay Morris" <lmorris AT SERVERGRAPH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 09:29:57 -0500
Jack, you might look at our viewacct script -
it would show you which clients had the largest backups last night - then
you can look at the dsmsched.log file on those clients and find the big
file.
For the viewacct script, see "Mining the Accounting Log, at
http://www.servergraph.com/techtipshome.shtml.

When you get around to looking at the dsmsched.log file, here's a script
(not used in a year, but was good the last time I looked) that will find
large files in your dsmsched.log that are getting sent every day.  You'll
have to get the dsmsched.log file over to a unix box, or put MKS tools or
something on the windows box.

Good luck!

=============
#!/usr/bin/ksh
# analyze a dsmsched.log file: look for large files that got backed up
if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then echo "usage: $0 <dsmchedlog-file name>"; exit 1
fi
fgrep "Normal File" $1 | awk '{print $1, $5, $6}' | sed 's/,//g' |  sort
+0r -1  +1rn -2  >/tmp/$$.1
# that file has all dates, all files.
# just get the largest 10 files from yesterday, and
# then look for them on other dates too.  We might see we're backing up
# the same file over and over again.
sed 10q /tmp/$$.1 | awk '{print $3}' >/tmp/$$.2
fgrep -f /tmp/$$.2 /tmp/$$.1 | sort +2 -3 +0r -1
rm /tmp/$$.[12]

Mr. Lindsay Morris
Lead Architect, Servergraph
www.servergraph.com <http://www.servergraph.com>