ADSM-L

Re: AIXASYNCIO

2002-12-02 22:28:59
Subject: Re: AIXASYNCIO
From: "Mark D. Rodriguez" <mark AT MDRCONSULT DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 21:28:21 -0600
Edgardo Moso wrote:

Any input about this server option ASYNCIO?

Thanks,

Ed Moso

Ed,

This allows ITSM to take advantage of AIX's Asyncronous I/O(AIO)
capabilities.  I have not used this in an ITSM setting as of yet.
However, I have used AIO in other places.  There are several things
required in order to use this.  You must first configure and enable AIO.
You can do this thru "smitty aio".  There are only a few attributes to
set.  Here are some good starting points (remember your mileage may
vary) set minservers=<# of CPUs in the box>, maxservers=<5 to 10 times #
of CPUs>, maxrequests=<4096x# CPUs>, do not change server priority
(kprocprio), state at restart to available, leave fast path enabled.
Once that is done you will need to reboot in order for it to take
effect.  AIO requires that the application be written to use it,
apparently ITSM server code has been updated to do so when the
"AIXASYNCIO YES" is set in dsmserv.opt file of course the server will
need to be restarted to pick up that change.

Then make some measurements and see if things are running better.  Of
course this assumes you have some measurements prior to this to compare
them.  This has the potential for substantial I/O performance increases.
I would be very interested in your results.  In fact, I would be
willing to help you do some before and after measurements as well as
doing some of the data analysis to determine some additional tuning.
And when we are done we could post on this list for others to consider.
If you are interested please write me off the list and we can work it out.

Whatever you decide (with or without my help) please let us know how
this turns out.  I think there are several people on this list who would
be very interested.

--
Regards,
Mark D. Rodriguez

MDR Consulting
The very best in Technical Training and Consulting.
IBM Advanced Business Partner
SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE
AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux
Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE