ADSM-L

Re: Weird Managedservices problem

2002-12-01 08:29:01
Subject: Re: Weird Managedservices problem
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 15:20:22 +0200
I see no answer to this so will try to answer (if you didn't solved it but
workaround).

How dsmcad works:
Client Acceptor Daemon is intended to be thinner than dsmc with small
memory footprint. Upon startup it starts to listen on ports for services
it manages (similar to what inetd daemon does for ftp, telnet, etc.). When
request is accepted on particular port dsmcad starts the corresponding
service.
By default it accepts connections only for Web client (on port 1581). If
set in dsm.sys/dsm.opt it will also manage the scheduler and *might*
listen to port 1501. The latter is controlled by the schedmode used - if
server-prompted the client (i.e. dsmcad) will listen to port 1501, if
client-polling the client will poll the server for schedules on port 1500
(1501 will not be used).

--> no dsmc sched process running, but dsmcad was still running

When schedules are controlled by CAD dsmc is never fired with "sched"
parameter. When schedule is run you will see normal "dsmc <objects>
<options>" launched by dsmcad. When there is no active schedule only
dsmcad will be active.

--> netstat shows a process listening on port 1581, nothing on 1500

Nether "dsmc sched" nor "dsmcad" will listen on port 1500. Using defaults
only server listens to this port. Scheduler in prompted mode will listen
on port 1501 and in polling mode will not listen on any port. The latter
is the behavior you see on the working client.

--> there is an attempt by the server to connect on 1501 ...

A real problem! I think the server still assumes the client is in prompted
mode and attempts to contact it (on port 1501) to start a schedule.
However the client is unable to contact the server (for some reason - the
root of the problem !!) and inform it now polling mode will be used.

Verify the configuration of the client and options/environment used to
start dsmcad. Is the client able to run schedules when "dsmc sched" is
used? If not there might be expired password problem. If yes I would bet
dsmc and dsmcad are started using different configuration files or
environment variables.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Steve Harris <Steve_Harris AT HEALTH.QLD.GOV DOT AU>
31.10.2002 05:10