ADSM-L

Re: Problems defining a HP SureStore 20/700 LTO

2002-11-30 13:58:05
Subject: Re: Problems defining a HP SureStore 20/700 LTO
From: Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:35:11 -0600
Zlatko,

OK. No problem.

You're right about all the OEM'ing going on.  At a Dell seminar I saw an
LTO tape library that was exactly the same  as an IBM 3583 (which we have)
except it had "DELL" in place of the "IBM" on the front panel.  Even the
LCD display was identical.

As for HP, it seemed to me that all of HP's X/XX and XX/XXX models were
part of the same product line, manufacturer unknown, but assumed to be HP.
Since we found the HP to be a "loose fit" with TSM, and I had shared the
details of our months-long effort to getting the combo working right, I
thought that might shed some light on Wolfgang's problem.

Sorry about any misunderstanding on my part.

Tab

                    Zlatko
                    Krastev/ACIT         To:     ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
                    <acit@ATTGLOBA       cc:
                    L.NET>               Subject:     Re: Problems defining a
HP SureStore 20/700 LTO
                    Sent by:
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <ADSM-L AT VM DOT MAR
                    IST.EDU>

                    11/30/2002
                    05:58 AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Tab,

those days many products are sold under different name, brand, etc. Many
times I've been caught thinking fault is in the wrong people and still
demanding from them to fix the problem. They tried to help me but needed
help themselves. Nearly all the time it was caused by lack of this tiny
but important piece of information.
Same in this case - I do not expect *you* to know this, moreover guessing
you didn't knew and expecting the problems might be similar. Hoping to
help I tried to provide the info.
In all those cases I had guess how many times I dreamed to have the
information earlier and save tons of time :-) And the "be honest" remark
was not applicable to me ... C'est la vie :-(  At least now I know the
right person for conveyor belts questions :-)

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Tab Trepagnier <Tab.Trepagnier AT LAITRAM DOT COM>
30.11.2002 04:50