ADSM-L

Re: How to tell which tapes a restore requires?

2002-11-26 18:33:34
Subject: Re: How to tell which tapes a restore requires?
From: David Longo <David.Longo AT HEALTH-FIRST DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:32:25 -0500
To tell which offsite (or any tapes) are needed to restore a volume,
run:  restore volname preview=yes.  It doesn't do anything but
tell you which tapes are needed.  It generally runs a minute or so.
Then do a q actlog for length of time process ran and see in actlog
which tapes are needed.  Then you can request them from offsite.

One note:  As TSM is a dynamic system with reclamations running, etc.
when you get tapes back the next day things may have changed
some.  Run the preview again.  Checkin only tapes that are needed.
If more tapes are needed, get them back the next day.

I have done this about a dozen times for an onsite tape that was
damaged, and most of the time I didn't need any tapes the 2nd day.
Once or twice I did.

David Longo

>>> gwichman AT ZANTAZ DOT COM 11/26/02 04:59PM >>>
Let me ask my question a different way. If I do a restore, the server
requests certain tapes to be mounted if they are offline and not
physically
in the library. Is there any way to determine ahead of time what those
tapes
are and put them in the library via a preview or something or do I
always
have to run the restore and wait to see what tapes it wants?

This e-mail has been captured and archived by the ZANTAZ Digital
Safe(tm)
service.  For more information, visit us at www.zantaz.com.
IMPORTANT: This electronic mail message is intended only for the use of
the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
information
that is privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under
applicable
law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or
the
employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended
or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have
received
this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by
telephone or directly reply to the original message(s) sent.  Thank
you.

"MMS <health-first.org>" made the following
 annotations on 11/26/2002 06:34:11 PM
This message is for the named person's use only.  It may contain confidential,
proprietary, or legally privileged information.  No confidentiality or
privilege is waived or lost by any mistransmission.  If you receive this
message in error, please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your
system, destroy any hard copies of it, and notify the sender.  You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any part of
this message if you are not the intended recipient.  Health First reserves the
right to monitor all e-mail communications through its networks.  Any views or
opinions expressed in this message are solely those of the individual sender,
except (1) where the message states such views or opinions are on behalf of a
particular entity;  and (2) the sender is authorized by the entity to give such
views or opinions.