ADSM-L

Re: Querying which volumes have a particular file or node

2002-11-26 17:29:57
Subject: Re: Querying which volumes have a particular file or node
From: DFrance <DFrance-TSM AT ATT DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:29:44 -0800
Gerald,

This is a known requirement, is being submitted to the developers thru
SHARE;  a preview=yes option for restore/retrieve, which runs thru the
database as if the restore is being processed --- specifically, to obtain
the list of volumes that will be required.

So far, their response was (a) multi-thread restore feature (in 5.1) will
make this more complicated, so (b) they may not list vols in the actual
sequence (due to new parallelism) -- my answer was "the customer does not
care, they just need the list" (at least, for now), as it's the reality that
customers occasionally over-commit their silo capacity, need to do a restore
while awaiting new hardware to match their (new) capacity requirements.

You could construct a SELECT to do this, but it would take much longer than
the actual restore code to rummage thru the related tables; doing select for
a pseudo-join between backups and volumes -- backups using node and "active"
status, correlating to contents... gotta be a painful way to do it, but the
only precise way to do it.

My favorite, less-precise way (that I use for any real customer situation)
is just select from volumeusage based on node and storage pool name -- that
gets you all the vols occupied, so it's distorted abit (due to versions),
but, hey --- they should realize they need a silo large enough to hold ALL
their backup data, else it's never gonna be lights-out (as intended) and you
gotta go thru this pain!  See Karel's reply for an example of this query...
and watch for the new release info, for IBM's response.

        select distinct volume_name -
                from volumeusage where node_name='XYZ', -
                and filespace_name='ABC', -
                and stgpool_name = 'DEF'

HTH!

Don France
Technical Architect -- Tivoli Certified Consultant
Tivoli Storage Manager, WinNT/2K, AIX/Unix, OS/390
San Jose, Ca
(408) 257-3037
mailto:don_france AT ayett DOT net (change aye to a for replies)

Professional Association of Contract Employees
(P.A.C.E. -- www.pacepros.com)