ADSM-L

Re: Moving TSM Tapes from One Tape Management System to Another

2002-11-26 13:46:42
Subject: Re: Moving TSM Tapes from One Tape Management System to Another
From: Matt Simpson <msimpson AT UKY DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 13:45:52 -0500
At 12:27 -0500 11/26/02, Klein, Robert (NIH/CIT) wrote:
We are in the process of moving TSM (v4.2 for OS/390) from a machine that
uses Control-T as its tape management system to a machine that uses CA-1
(TMS) as its tape management system.  I am told by the system person in
charge of our tape management systems that it will be necessary to copy the
data from the tapes managed by ct-t to tapes managed by CA-1 in order for
users to be able to recover their data once we move TSM.

 I've got a lot of experience with OS/390 and CA-1, but very little
with TSM and one with the combination (our management didn't have the
sense to put TSM on a system that we already had running reliably,
because everybody knows mainframes are going away).
So I'm not 100% sure how TSM fits into the mix, but CA-1 has plenty
of utilities for importing tape information from other sources,
either manually entered or exported from other tape management
systems.  You just need to let CA-1 manage the tapes by copying the
relevant information from the Control-T database to the CA-1
database.  The CA-1 doc should give plenty of guidance.
It could get complicated if the volume ids on your old system
conflict with volume ids already in use on the system you're moving
to.  But if there's no overlap, you should just be able to define
your existing TSM tapes in the CA-1 database.
--

Matt Simpson --  OS/390 Support
219 McVey Hall  -- (859) 257-2900 x300