ADSM-L

Re: TDP Restoration Process.

2002-11-25 09:37:23
Subject: Re: TDP Restoration Process.
From: Mark Stapleton <stapleto AT BERBEE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:35:56 -0600
On Mon, 2002-11-25 at 06:12, Del Hoobler wrote:
> I am not sure I understand how your solution
> of backing up the log less often will help.
> The same amount of data will need to be backed up
> whether you queue them up or not.

Think about it, Del. It's not the amount of data that I was trying to
work around; it's the number of restores I was trying to reduce.

If you're backing up Domino logs thrice a day, instead of 24 times a
day, you have 1/8th the number of tape mounts, spin-forwards, restores,
log replays, rewinds, and dismounts. Since log restores are a
single-threaded process, and if each log restore requires 4 minutes
(which is pretty conservative), and you're restoring 5 days' worth of
logs, my scheme would require an hour for log restoration, versus 8
hours if you're backing them up every hour.

Certified TSM consultant
Certified AIX system engineer
MCSE