ADSM-L

Re: HSM-Software

2002-11-25 07:22:48
Subject: Re: HSM-Software
From: Daniel Sparrman <daniel.sparrman AT EXIST DOT SE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:21:37 +0100
Hi Christoph

I guess what you are looking for is setting up a standalone UNIX server,
with locally attached tape and HSM client.

In this scenario, the following would be required:

- Tivoli Storage Manager server, backup/archive client and HSM client. You
will need to have a TSM server installed on your HSM clientr, if you want
the library to be attached locally to the HSM client, as the server
version of TSM is the only software that can be a repository for data.
- A locally attached tapelibrary. My suggestions is looking at IBM MagStar
MP libraries, which today are were cheap, or STK 9840 compatible
libraries. This is because you want a short mount time, and a short time
to data, which both theese techniques can supply.

My suggestion is that you split the TSM server from the HSM server. When
doing HSM migration, you dont want to have the migrated data from the HSM
client attached locally, in case of a disaster. Perhaps you already have a
TSM server, which you can use. In this case, administration and monitoring
will be quite easier if you use your existing TSM platform.

Best Regards

Daniel Sparrman
Daniel Sparrman
Exist i Stockholm AB
Propellervägen 6B
183 62 HÄGERNÄS
Växel: 08 - 754 98 00
Mobil: 070 - 399 27 51

Christoph Pilgram <Christoph.Pilgram AT BC.BOEHRINGER-INGELHEIM DOT COM>
2002-11-25 09:25