ADSM-L

Re: Backup verification scripts

2002-11-20 16:14:31
Subject: Re: Backup verification scripts
From: "Stephen E. Bacher" <seb AT DRAPER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 14:09:20 -0500
>Is anyone using some sort of script to verify their backups by a byte total?
>I've got scripts to monitor events and the dsmerror and act logs but still
>miss files.

Some time ago we designed a Bourne shell script to do backup/restore
verification for Unix systems, using a verification machine with a like
release of the TSM client, plus a shared scratch directory that the
verification machine can restore into, which can also be accessed from
the local machine being validated.

The comparison is effected by doing a find -ls command on both the
local filesystem being validated and the restored filesystem and
also by generating and comparing checksums for files that match
in size, attributes and path.

The basic logical outline is something like this:

# adsm-verify-backup userhost:/foo/bar (when running on verification host)
#
# or
#
# adsm-verify-backup /foo/bar          (when running on target host)
#
# This script does one of two things, depending on which machine it is
# running on:
#
# If it is running on the TSM verification host, then it does a restore
# of the requested filesystem from the named node.
#
# If it is running on the target host, then it does a backup of the
# requested filesystem on that node.
#
# If on local host:
#
#  * set access for verification host to be able to restore from a
#    file tree on the local host
#  * do incremental backup with incrbydate option
#
# * have user run the script on the verification host at this point
#
# If on verification host:
#
#  * do restore into special local directory
#
#  * collect checksum info for all non-directories in the tree

The code has numerous private dependencies, so I would rather not
post it, but if you are interested you may email me.

Steve Bacher
Draper Laboratory
Cambridge, MA
seb AT draper DOT com