ADSM-L

Re: Poor Performance

2002-11-20 15:27:57
Subject: Re: Poor Performance
From: Zlatko Krastev/ACIT <acit AT ATTGLOBAL DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 2002 21:04:29 +0200
my knowledge in Cisco devices also is very far from expert level I so
consulted with a colleague. His answer was the same - there is no Cisco
device to mess with your TCP stream. You can have a switch (at OSI layer
2) which deals with Ethernet frames, a router forwarding IP packets or L3
switch looking inside Ethernet frames and switching IP packets (at OSI
layer 3), some application (HTTP) load-balancers acting as application
proxies which multiplex requests to several hosts (at OSI layer 7).
You do not have a TSM connection from port 1500 or to port 1500 on Cisco
device. You can have a configuration:

HostA <--> (1 or more) Cisco <--> HostB

The traffic through these Cisco devices is either Ethernet frames or IP
packets. Only HostA and HostB assemble IP packets into TCP stream and only
their TCP-window sizes affect the connection. Cisco in the middle can drop
frames, drop or fragment IP packets and thus reduce throughput but cannot
interfere with TCP stream.

Zlatko Krastev
IT Consultant

Salak Juraj <j.salak AT ASAMER DOT AT>